Friday, April 26, 2013


OTs make for a boring first round. Lets be honest, none of us really know what we're talking about when it comes to grading offensive linemen. Yeah, I've seen Luke Joekel plenty but I didn't concentrate on him. Eric Fisher? Ain't nobody knows nothin' 'bout him. He's big, quick, and athletic. At least that's what the numbers say. I can't really blame the Chiefs or Jags, as there were no impact skill position players or absolute defensive studs in the top of this draft...This leads me to the Cowboys. Of course, I wanna laugh at their pick and I'd probably be justified in doing it. I can't tell you anything about Travis Frederick outside of his measurables. The two glaring negatives with this pick are the questionable return Dallas got from SF to move down, and the fact they likely coulda got Frederick with their second pick. Otherwise, at least they addressed the OL. The guy comes from a quality program, is big, and intelligent. It doesn't address the outer edges, the places that cause Tony Romo to turn into the Tasmanian Devil, but it does potentially provide a smart anchor that can make the correct reads and form a cohesive unit.

Seems like a lot of Dallas fans were upset they didn't stay at 18 and select DT Sharrif Floyd from Florida. I've seen most all of his games, and I dunno why he was so highly touted. I wouldn't sweat it...Bjoern Werner, DE from FSU, was a guy I was afraid the Pokes might take. Dude brings it, I think the Colts made out just fine...Sylvester Williams, DT from UNC, is the guy I think most Dallas fans will look back on with regret. Probably coulda got him at 18, and still got Frederick in the 2nd. Instead he'll team up with Von Miller in Denver.

My favorite picks of the first round were Tyler Eifert, ND TE to Cincy, Jarvis Jones, UGA OLB to Pittsburgh, and for personal reasons, Eric Reid LSU S to SF...I think Eifert will be the best player in this draft at his position. Guy is a solid blocker with great hands. If opponents have to engage a safety on him, Andy Dalton could have a field day throwing to AJ Green. And of course the inverse is true, Green could open up Eifert to be a star...Jones was probably the best defensive player I saw a lot of from this draft. He's a havoc-maker in the backfield, and he did it in the best conference in the country. I don't get why he wasn't considered a top 10 player. I guess there's questions about his work ethic, but you don't naturally-gifted fall into 14.5 sacks. I bet Tomlin turns him into a star...Reid was really the guy I wanted for the Niners. After losing Dashon Goldson to free agency(TB), safety became a position of need. Reid first really caught my eye in the Alabama game last year. That interception at the goal line was the difference maker, and it was all about desire. A defensive version of Steve Smith, i.e. want the ball more than the other guy.

Tonite should be more interesting, the second and third rounds will bring more skill position players and we'll see which teams are filling needs, which ones are loading up on athletes, and which ones are accumulating more draft picks for the future. There's still plenty of names out there, where will Geno Smith go? The league seems to think he's a product of Tavon Austin. I tend to agree. Who will finally grab Manti T'eo? He was overhyped all year, probably wasn't ever really a first round talent, and Alabama exposed him. Add in the girlfriend hoax, and I don't know why you'd even bother. I guess eventually he becomes a value pick, but I wouldn't wanna deal with it.

Frank Gore is probably my favorite current Niner. But Father Time has gotta be right around the corner, and it seems like a good time to groom a replacement. Kendall Hunter is recovering from an Achille's injury and LeMichael James doesn't have the size to be an every down back. I'd love to see SF take Alabama RB Eddie Lacy with its second round pick. Lacy is a stout 5'11", 230 pounder with 4.45 speed. He possesses a wonderful twirl move and is coming off a 1,300 yard 19 TD season with the Tide. If they decide to go another direction I wouldn't mind seeing them take a flyer on South Carolina RB Marcus Lattimore, late. Coming off a terrible knee injury, he'd be a good guy to stash as Gore surely has a few more solid years left.

The Cowboys really need to look for bigs and nastys. When your best defensive player is such a sweet guy like DeMarcus Ware it's time to bring in some attitude. Ware is a future HOFer that can still get to the QB with frequency, but he doesn't really seem to inspire. Spencer and Lee seem like real swell fellas, as well. The nastiest guy is probably Ratliff, but he really ain't shit, has a bitch attitude, and made a really dumb decision following the Jerry Brown tragedy...OL/DL is obviously what Dallas should be looking at. I'd be looking at Barrett Jones from Alabama and Johnathan Jenkins from Georgia. I'm partial to SEC players in the high rounds, and wouldn't look to get cute with smaller school 'sleepers'. Really, if they went OL with their first 3 picks and revamped the line, it would make the Frederick pick more palatable. You invested in Romo, now give him a young, massive unit to operate behind. Then maybe we'll see if Romo is an antsy gun-slinger or a guy who can pick apart defenses with time. Personally, I hope they go S, RB and continue doing what they do...makes for great radio.


1 comment: